Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Twitter Edition.

I've been on Twitter for a grand total of four (4) days. Thus, I am an expert in all things Twitter.

[To be honest, I am still navigating...]

But, in my breadth of experience, I have noticed a huge amount of annoyances on Twitter. So, today, I share my recent observations of Twitter and how to make an interesting tweet.

[One] 90 % of your tweet should be pure content. Not mentions and hashtags. Content. Tell me a joke, tell me about a new restaurant, tell me about a list that puts Portland on the Top 10 beer-destinations of the world.

AKA: don't do this:
Uh, what the heck?
The only thing you are telling me is that you want #cosmetology to trend.
Not going t happen. 

We all love a good hashtag. Note: singular. One single hashtag. Not fourteen. Also, those little heart things aren't helping.

[Two] ALL CAPS has its place. Unless you have the most exciting news in the universe, let's calm down a bit:


Woah, Kanye. Your life is pretty awesome--but stop yelling at me.

[Three] Let's be honest, you only have Twitter to show off your Instagram. But, c'mon--let's make it a little more interesting.



[Four] I joined Twitter to follow Justin Bieber. 

No one in real life really uses Twitter. That is, unless they are a celebrity or in the Marketing/Communication/Public Relations field. 90 percent of the people I follow are Real Housewives or Justin Bieber. 

[BTW--I would love to be proved wrong. If you are on Twitter, I would love to follow you. Follow me, or comment below and I will...]

This is a real excerpt from my "following' list on Twitter.
I'm pretty diverse. 
[Five] The most interesting tweets have three characteristics: they're funny/poignant, intelligent and don't take a decoder ring to read. This makes comedians the best people to follow. Twitter is the perfect platform for sharing something short and to the point. Let's not turn it into a self promoting, link-up, trending fiasco. 




There you have it. My five observations of Twitter. Not a typical Tutorial Tuesday...but I'm not expert enough to give you a 'five steps to the perfect Tweet' this week...maybe next...



No comments:

Post a Comment