Thursday, September 20, 2012

And the winner for best use of leftover is...

It's been a while since I did a cooking challenge, and I'm super excited to show you tonight's.

Ben made me a wonderful steak dinner earlier this week complete with roasted corn on the cob and an amazing bottle of red wine [he's taken!] Ben is an awesome cook, but most of the time he cooks for an army.

Naturally we had a little bit of left overs--most notably mash taters and awesome honey oat bread. That's right, two side dishes.  The holy grail of unwanted leftovers.

I was determined to not serve these up again in their original form, so tonight we tried breakfast with a twist.

Here we go!

I fired up the griddle and got to work on some potato pancakes (just scooped up the taters and made them flat like a pancake.)

Then, I cut the remaining bread and made a pumpkin pie french toast with them (dipped the bread in an egg+milk+1tsp pumpkin pie spice mixture.)




Then, because I'm fancy, I sautéed up an apple with a little agave nectar (you can use sugar) and cinnamon to top off the french toast. Delicious.



Then, because I'm super fancy, I cut an apple in rings and warmed it up on the griddle with a little cinnamon to top off the potato pancakes:


And then I felt awesome about what I did. And we ate. And it was...well...awesome. 

I think I'm going to start dreaming up a new New Years Resolution--never eat leftovers in the same form they were the night before...

What's your most creative leftover creation? What do you do with Thanksgiving leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment