Sunday, August 26, 2012

Happy birthday, Megan!

This is where it all started. 





The day I tried to strangle my sister while sweetly smiling for the camera. 


23 years ago today, my younger yet-much-taller sister was born, taking away my only-child status.  

I had a helmet of dark brown hair. Megan had a full head of blonde curls. She was obsessed  with Beauty and the Beast. I was obsessed with Cinderella. I loved pink. Megan was a purple girl. We both were super excited for our younger sister [Boo Boo] to come home.

I'm the one with the mullet
Megan is the one with the belly shirt.


We've always been different, but similar.


We've always carved our own path, and sometimes those paths are similar--sometimes they are so different.


We went to the same university--we did student leadership together, we partied together (but not until we were both of age, mom), and we lived in the same residence hall.

We went to the same university but had different paths--she was focused on political science and global studies, she went abroad to Trinidad, and focused on a future of service to the global community.


Megan has a heart for helping, and a mind for justice. She spent the last year in Palestine opening her heart to those living under occupation. She is spending this year in Minneapolis serving Habitat for Humanity. She lives to serve those around her.

Megan with some of her students at the Helen Keller School for the Blind in Jerusalem.
Megan is living, and will continue to live a life of service in wherever she ends up. She is the type of person that cannot ignore injustice and will continue to serve our neighbors, our community domestically and abroad.

It's amazing to think that 17 years ago, we were playing McDonalds Drive-Thru in our front yard--and today we're both living out our dreams--different but similar.

Since it was biologically feasible, my sister has been taller than me.

See that line that basically stays in the same place since 1999? That's me.
Now look up to the line that consistently grows an inch a year. That's her.
Physically, I've been looking up to her since I was about 8.

Truth is, I have always looked up to Megan. The way that every song is her 'favorite song,' the way she tries to whistle but only has one note [seriously megan, one note], the way she cares for those that she barely knows, and the way she loves for those that face injustice and hate.

 

Happy birthday, Megan. I love you, and I miss you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment