Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What is soda bread, that isn't soda bread? Scones.

In preparation for St. Patty's day, I planned to make soda bread. But, a migraine set in this morning, and that just isn't happening. Also--after looking up a zillion recipes for soda bread, I decided that I really don't like soda bread.

So, instead of soda bread, I decided I wanted to make scones--but I didn't want to work for them.

I found this in my pantry:

While I didn't plan my nail color to match the Fisher Scone box, it is a happy coincidence. 
If you haven't had the pleasure of going to a Washington State fair and having a yummy, perfect, warm fair scone--you are seriously missing out. There's something so perfect about those little warm handfuls of flour, butter and jam--mmm. The Fair Scone mix is just as nice, and you don't have to smell pigs and cows to get it. Just add water.

I thought, "Hey I can doctor this up to be something yummy, right?" So I did.

I looked in my pantry and found some oatmeal and raisins. Yes!

I didn't measure, but I put about a handful and half of raisins, and a couple shakes of oatmeal.
I added water as per package directions, then mixed for a consistency.
I added a little more water until it looked like it was sticking together without being watery.
Just like this. 
Put it onto a flour-ed cutting board and kneaded it a couple times until it was a pretty ball. 

Cut the pretty ball in three pieces. 
Turned each of the pretty balls into pretty domes, then cut them into quarters.

Baked it as per package directions, added a little butter--yumm!
Just what this migraine needed to release its wrath on my brain.
For St. Patty's day, I thought I'd give you a little inspiration for fun things to do (that don't involve drinking...that's Saturday.)



Source: the-cooking-of-joy.blogspot.com via Lauren on Pinterest

Corned beef, mashed potato and cabbage sushi!


Not a huge fan of corned beef--but this might work! 




Source: browneyedbaker.com via Judy on Pinterest

So, I know I said no drinking...but Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes


for our meeting this week sound awesome...




Source: alexandrahedin.blogspot.com via Lauren on Pinterest

Found this from Alexandra Hedin's blog. Lucky Charm Rice Krispy Treats! 
What do you have planned for St. Patty's day?



No comments:

Post a Comment