Thursday, March 1, 2012

For what ails you.

One year ago today, we said goodbye to my Grandma Ruth. She was an awesome spunky lady, and she had tons of 'signature' lines/expressions.

My Grandma Ruth was born in 1919 in Nebraska. She and my Grandpa Buck were homesteaders in Cody, Wyoming (near the East Entrance of Yellowstone.) She loved her flowers, even though the deer ate them every year. You could always count on her for a *wag of the finger*, followed closely by a *wink of her eye.*

Every time my sisters and I would refuse to eat something green, she would say, "It's good for your ailments."

But, being 6 years old, I had no idea what 'ailments' meant, and my sisters and I were convinced that an 'ailment' was an organ in your body. (I remember Megan and I reasoning this when we were really young. At that point, Boo Boo was one and went along with everything we did. She still kind of does this...)

To me, and 'ailment' was a tiny gill shaped organ in your neck. It controlled nothing, but you needed to eat certain things to keep it healthy--or 'good.' I haven't asked my sisters what organ they thought an 'ailment' was... But, we were all pretty convinced it was inside your body.

At about age 10, I figured out what an 'ailment' was, but this line has always stuck with me (and us.)

My dad event talked about this in her eulogy, about a year ago.  Apparently, several of my cousins also had no idea what an ailment was.

So, for you Grandma:

For clarification: Apple, Ice Water, Lettuce, Milk, Eggplant, Nuts, Tomato, Sweet Potato.
Cute, right? If you can think of a healthy food that starts with I and isn't 'iceberg lettuce, let me know.

We miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment