Monday, October 15, 2012

Alright, here it is.

It's incredible what can happen in one year.

Just one year ago, I was doing this:


Ben and I were surrounded by our friends, family and loved ones and had the most incredible day we could ever ask for.


On the outside, we were married in a church that was under construction with nothing but a tarp over the roof to keep the rain out. The only bathrooms were port-a-potties. We had about 30 parking spots for over 250 people.

There's usually a really beautiful organ under that tarp...

On the inside, we were married in front of 250 of our closest friends at our wonderful home church. We got a ton of awesome pictures of people coming out of the port-a-potty [I won't share, you're welcome] and had an incredible whirlwind of a day.  Suck it, wedding blogs.


Our wedding wasn't really a surprise to anyone--except for maybe me. Ben and I have been committed to each other for a decade--seriously. I think I was the only one floored when he asked me to marry him on my birthday. Every other person's response was, "Well, duh."


This day meant a lot more than us getting married. [don't get me wrong, getting married was awesome.] But, it was the dozens of friends and family members that traveled across the country [and as far as Palestine] to be with us as we made this commitment to each other.


You'll notice that I haven't shown you any pictures of the 'details.' Those measly little things that wedding blogs say you 'need' to have a successful wedding. You spend months planning for that picture of the row of mason jars strung beneath a triangle pennant banner. I got caught in that trap too.

Here I sit one year later thinking back about that incredible day, and the incredible 365 days since October 15, 2011; these are the moments I remember and treasure:

Ben and I caught a glimpse of our wedding guests taking our picture through the big windows inside the Portland Golf Club.
That was hilarious.

I think my hair almost caught on fire.

This is my cousin Logan. He has the best moves...seriously.

Marcus has the second best moves.

Beautiful, Hailey!

Gettin' down.

My family has a theme choreographed dance. Get on our level.

My mother-in-law and brother-in-law.

Breakin' it down to 'Shout'

My aunt and uncle, all the way in from Cody, WY.

My grandma and grandpa--one of my favorite pictures of the whole day.

My mom and Ben's mom gettin' down.

Megan and Boo Boo doing a a terrifying dance.

My dad and I's dance. We did Johnny Cash singing 'You are my Sunshine.'
It was a big tear-jerker.


In the middle of Trevor's Best Man speech, Ben and him did some impromptu
World War II bomb sounds. It was incredible.

My aunt and uncle all the way in from Texas.

Oh, and we totally did a football-style tunnel as people were leaving the ceremony.
So here we are, a year later, looking back on all that has happened. Ben and I are having more fun today than we did yesterday. We are more excited about tomorrow than we are today. And we are reminded every day the people that make us who we are.

Today we celebrate the day that everyone saw us commit the rest of our lives to each other. We celebrate the ups, the downs, and even the details. We remember the incredible moments that lead up to the wedding, and the incredible moments that have happened since.

Thank you to everyone who truly made this day one for the record books.

No comments:

Post a Comment