Thursday, October 4, 2012

Entrada

I have grand dreams of a foyer.


A foyer with lots of stairs, a giant chandelier, and a vase full of fresh cut flowers [sourced from my giant flower garden...duh.] 

But, let's be honest--what I have is a long hallway, a baby front door, and a load of red brick. Meh.

here


This space is not going to grow stairs or a giant chandelier. Seeing that we recently solved our giant juniper problem, there will be no fresh cut flowers. 

Is there light at the end of this long dark hallway?

Oh yeah. There's this light:

right here

Isn't she pretty? I love the whole art-deco-but-I'm-not-weirding-you-out-vibe I'm getting from her.

And then there's this tile:

Imagine that, but with a nice green and a nice white. Oh lord.
here.
And then you mix it with the wood floor we are putting in...

here
...and I think we are starting to get somewhere.

But here's the real issue: The hallway is too thin to put anything substantial against the walls. The hallway is too high-traffic to leave it alone.

So what do I do? Add another frame collage? Add another wall sconce?

What would you do?


4 comments:

  1. Perhaps a mirror or two in that space will open it up and throw some light around. Or you could hang paintings or family photos, and then use those battery-operated painting lights to illuminate them: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/picture-lights/type_battery-operated/. I agree, that space is tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Nicole! Great idea! I love the idea of the battery-operated painting lights.

      I really should just have you on speed dial when it comes to this place...

      I don't remember if I told you, but when we first moved in, I was putting things in the garage and I looked up an saw the little blush spots from your Blush show on the garage and I had this huge overwhelming feeling of, "we were totally supposed to buy this house." Good luck [or no good luck?] at the football game this weekend. Go big red!

      Delete
  2. I also thought mirror first thing. If you put one on the back of your door it might reflect your pretty new light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! I don't know why I didn't think of a mirror. I was going to put up a picture of the hallway on this post, but by the time I sat down it was too dark [long dark hallway..] to get it all together.

      Some long, narrow mirrored stripes might be really nice....hmm...

      Delete