Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Twelve Weeks of Homemade Christmas: Week One [quote vase]

Happy Tuesday, all.

You know what today is?

Yup. Week one. 

I want to start simple here with week one. And, honestly, it's October 2. I want something that isn't going to look crackpot crazy around my house until after Thanksgiving...

So today, I present to you: The Quote Vase.


And reason number 54323 I need to buy a real camera.
Vases make great gifts. Why? Because they come with flowers in them. Flowers are awesome.

But this isn't any old vase, this is Zuzu's vase:



So I started out with my die cutting machine. If you don't have a die cutting machine, you could easily do this on regular paper, print it out, cut out the good stuff with an exacto knife and create a stencil. But a die cuting machine is about 94669x easier. 

So here's what I made:


Then, I ran it through my machine:


Took off the outside edges, and put transfer paper on it. Then, I transferred it to the vase:


I did it a little crooked because I knew the whole thing wouldn't be visible in one plane.
The quote was more for texture.
Then, I spray painted. The secret with spray painting glass is to do several light coats. 


Now... the most time consuming part. Using an exacto knife (or scalpel) peel off the letters. Be super careful, you don't want to take off any extra paint. 

I'm a little under the weather today, and it took me a couple sittings to finish this.
and now marvel at your pretty work.
Now that it's getting darker a lot sooner...I really need a camera. Badly. Oh bother...

The pictures are not doing this thing justice. Sorry.

Imagine how cute this could be with some nice big white fluffy flowers. I'm going to find some tomorrow and take a prettier picture for you. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment