Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sew what?

Last night's sewing class was AMAZING.

We spent 90% of the time learning about how to not be afraid of our sewing machine. And that is exactly what I needed to start my sewing career.

I learned things like:

this is how it's supposed to look before you start sewing;
and this is a bobbin. Yeah! I threaded a bobbin.
 It was awesome! We had two wranglers ready to help at every sewing machine crisis. They even made us solve our own issues [with a little help, of course.]

Then, I made this:

A pin cushion!
I have one more class left [next Tuesday] and we're making a pillow case.

The class really helped me get over my fear of breaking my sewing machine every time I touch it. I got to bring my own machine, so I rapidly learned how to thread a bobbin, thread my machine, and the list of 'things you should never ever do.' That list was probably the best thing I learned.

I have about forty projects slated now that I know how to thread my machine properly, including finally putting my window seat together! Wahoo!

Stay tuned tomorrow for 12 Weeks of Homemade Gifts...it'll involve a sewing machine!

2 comments:

  1. I have a sewing machine but I'm still afraid of mine. Tutorial?! Maybe tension, 'cuz that's my hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, the hardest part is getting the machine set up. Once you have it set up the right way, you're golden.

      I also watched a lot of youtube videos, my favorite classroom.

      Delete