Sunday, January 8, 2012

Living Room Wall Challenge (Part 2)

Earlier this week I posted my challenge--my living room wall. Here was my inspiration:




Today was my 'creating' day--I stocked up on my supplies:
  • Spray Paint (I chose a nice navy gloss)
  • Pretty paper
  • Die Cutting machine (I use a Sillhouette Cameo, I love it, if I hadn't met Ben first I would marry it.)
  • Drop Cloth/Newspapers/Paper Bags (something to spray paint on that won't make you lose your security deposit)
Here were my frames before:

The solid frame in the middle used to have a picture of
flowers on it, took me about an hour to scrape everything off it.

I gave them a good two coats of spray paint. If you are going from dark frames to light frames, you might want to use a primer to save on extra coats of paint. I had a lot of fun trying to creatively fill in all the nooks without spraying my hand. By the last frame I got the hang of it.

This dried much darker to a nice navy.

While I was waiting for my frames to dry, I started designing my 'centerpiece.' I got an awesome Silhouette Cameo (SC) this past year, and I absolutely love it. Unlike the Cricut or other die cutters, the SC is able to use typefaces on your computer to create your designs. You can also input your own vector art to get cut. This past couple weeks, I've had an annoying amount of songs stuck in my head. On Monday, the Today Show had this little gem playing:


Try to hold back the vomit. Ugh.
So cute.


I've always loved the song, but this line seemed perfect for what I wanted for the space:



Next week, my challenge is to use a different typeface. whoops.

I put this design into my SC and cut it out on a great craft paper. I used a tacky adhesive to attach it to a solid frame. (Sorry, forgot to take a picture of this, too excited.)

Took the frames about an hour to dry completely (maybe shorter, but I was watching the Broncos v. Steelers game and got a little distracted--TEBOW.) Then I started hanging. I decided to leave out the gold mirror, because it just didn't look right. Here's the finished look:

I'm really realizing fast that I need a better camera
(than my iPhone) to take pictures for this blog.
I promise it looks 10000000x better than this,
I just have a very dimly lit living room.)


I'm really extremely happy of how this turned out, and what an impact it has made without costing barely anything. I used frames I already had, and just had to go out and buy a $7.99 can of spray paint and a $3.99 can of spray adhesive (which I use all the time, I just happened to be out.) I also really took my time with this project and focused on craftsmanship, which is usually weak-point for me.

I'm one week in to my challenge, and I have finally decided to tell people about it. I was going to wait longer, but I need some help staying accountable to the challenge. Thanks for visiting if you saw my post on Facebook, please check back often! I'm hoping in the near future to do some giveaways (my 750 square foot apt will not be able to contain this project.) See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Woot! Can't wait to see your progress, Laur! Love this project (and your print is divine)!

    -Sarah (Lake)

    ReplyDelete