Tuesday, January 24, 2012

#SOTU

I wouldn't call myself a political junkie. I would, however, call myself a communication strategy junkie (CSJ). Being a CSJ, I love the State of the Union Address. Seriously.

Doesn't matter the president, or the actual state of this great country of ours. I. Love. It.  I love the constant eruptions of applause. I love when the speaker of the house is of an opposing party, and you can tell they want to roll their eyes sooo bad (I'm looking at you Pelosi and Boehner!) I love Joe Biden constantly picking his nose. I especially love a good 'stick-it-to-em' line (doesn't matter who 'em is.)

Political leanings aside, Obama is a great speaker. He's had his off times (*cough-two years-cough*) but when he is on, Obama is ON. Tonight he was definitely ON. He almost reminded me of a campaign-era Obama, you know, the one a majority of us voted for? He and his speech writing team are crafting geniuses. They know how to deliver a message, and make you feel something. He is king of the one-two punch lines, and giving a message that resonates with everyone (that is, until his opponents and critics clear the fog and realize they disagree with the guy.) "The defining issue of our time" anyone? *Shiver*

There were a lot of great lines to inspire tonight's project; a few of them were:

"The legitimate object of government, is to do for the people whatever 
they need to have done, but which they can not do, 
at all, or can not do, so well, for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln


"... They understood they were part of something larger; 
that they were contributing to a story of success that every American 
had a chance to share -- the basic American promise that if you worked hard, 
you could do well enough to raise a family, own a home, send your kids
to college, and put a little away for retirement. The defining issue of our time is how to 
keep that promise alive." (talking about his grandparents)


"On the day I took office, our auto industry was on the verge of collapse....
We bet on American workers. We bet on American ingenuity. 
And tonight, the American auto industry is back." 
(talking about resurgence of American automakers after the bailout)


But, I instead chose the most awkward moment in the speech. The failed punch line. The awkward claps. Then, the most awesome "yeah, I just said it" smile from the POTUS. It was awesome.

"I guess it was worth crying over spilled milk"
(In relation to a ridiculous EPA regulation. Unfortunately,
the joke epically flopped, and Mr. Obama knew it. High five to Mrs. O
for the epic 'Seriously?' face. My husband knows that face well, too.)

My other favorite part of tonight's SOTU? ABC's #SOTU advertisement at the bottom of the screen. Oh, social media. You really have taken over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment