Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Everything is cuter when it has a face.

Think about it: Everything is a little bit cuter if you put a couple dots for eyes, and a little line for a mouth.

Proof: "Think about a booger. It's so not cute in real life. But, I bet if you draw one on a piece of paper with a little face it would be the cutest little thing." --Paraphrased from a real conversation with Mr. Reese.

In general, we like things with faces, or the appearance of a face. Think cars. My car looks like a little old lady. She's cute.

I had the opportunity to do a little work for the Arcadia Montessori School in Tacoma, WA, brought to me by from my former professor at PLU. They needed help with invitations for their Dinner + Auction, and had an awesome theme; The Enchanted Forest.

Knowing I had a ton of work in the past couple weeks, I took on the job--mainly because I wanted to do something with their theme.

[Pro-Tip: If you want some 'free' design work, pick a cool theme. Or, just let the designer do whatever they want with no boundaries--we don't get to do that often. Also--never tell a designer their work looks 'really professional.' No duh it looks professional--I kinda do this for a living, professionally. ]

You've seen a couple excerpts from this project, but I thought I'd show the whole she-bang:

The Invitation:

Front Cover: Look at those wittle toadstools. 

Da middle: Look at those wittle hoot owls. 

And...the RSVP Card:

RSVP Card, Side one: Snails in real life? Totes ugly.
Snails in cute life? Totes adorable. Especially when their best friend is a little slug. 
Finally, Side 2 of the RSVP Card: That little snail is about to eat that mushroom! How cute!

I really liked doing this project because I got to play with my Wacom tablet lots. I've been afraid of that thing for about a year, but I think I caught my stride with this project, and now Wacom and I are in a healthy supportive relationship.

Also--Editorial note, I fixed the comments, yay! For some reason before you could only comment if you had a Blogger Account--now, not so! You can anonymously comment all you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment