Friday, April 6, 2012

What does it take?

What does it take for you to be in your own high-producing-super-creating-star-shooting mode?

I've been thinking about this a lot the past couple days Especially when I noticed there was a very big difference in my surroundings when I loved what I was doing, and when I was just doing it because I had to.

Most of what was around me had nothing to do with the project or task I had ahead of me. Here's what I've deduced about my 'creative process.'


I need really loud music--not necessarily good music. The past week I have been punching off projects like nobody's business. I've also been listening to a particular playlist that consists of Incubus (circa 2001), A.F.I. (what?), CCR, Matchbox Twenty and Brittany Spears (circa 2001.) Today, I added in a little Fleetwood Mac and Wiz Khalifa. Lets hope it doesn't thwart the process.



That's a Trenta next to a Tall. Big Gulps, eh?


I am super highly caffeinated. I'm not talking a morning cup-o-joe caffeinated. I'm talking heart-palpitation-inducing Trenta Iced Americano + SF Cinnamon Dolce + Soy caffeinated. I thank my lucky stars every day the husband works for Starbucks. And Starbucks, I thank my lucky stars every day for you.







That is one stressed out kitty. 
I have a project that needs to be finished yesterday.   I do my best work under pressure. Under a lot of pressure. Typically I like to spend days and days just thinking about a project and not putting a single thing on paper. Then, when the pressure is super duper tight, I furiously create for hours on end until it is finished. It's my way. But, I hate it when people tell me that they need a project in 24 hours--I hate that kind of pressure. I really value those days that I spend thinking about the project--it's really important to 'the process.'




Harry Potter's broom closet room would be perfect for me.   


I must be in solitude. In my perfect world, I would have an office with a sound proof door and no windows when I'm in 'creation' mode. According to Meyers-Briggs I'm an ENFP--meaning I'm an extreme extrovert. And typically, I love having people around--and other people give me a lot of energy. But, when I'm in a high-producing mood, I need solitude. I need loud music. I need no interruptions. When I was at PLU, the Graphic Design studio was literally a musty closet full of old computers [nice for a school that cost $30k/year, right?] It was a perfect empty cave 1:30 am [hopefully.] That's probably where I got this need for solitude. There was no noise other than the humming of the Macs, my extremely loud music, and keyboard+mouse clicks. It was awesome.


What's your process for getting in the zone? How long did it take you to realize how to make things fall into place for yourself? Does it work all the time?

This isn't just for 'creating' stuff, it can go for studying, writing, working out, or anything. How do you do it?

I'm super interested in hearing your input--please comment below if you have any opinions! I think it's amazing how we can psychologically control our output capacity.

So anyway, on to today's project.

Today, our church finally got a temporary permit for occupancy for the new west-wing of the church! This moment is literally about 15 years, and all of my dad's gray hair in the making. [ok, full disclosure, my dad said his gray hair is from having three girls. I don't agree--we are angels.] I'm so proud of our church for finishing the project, I'm proud of my dad for all the hard work he put into helping the project get off its feet, and I'm so thankful of all the millions of volunteers that helped to make this happen.

So, Easter Sunday will be our first worship service in the new space. How incredible is that?

We are planning a weekend housewarming celebration to dedicate and bless the new wing of the church, and today I worked on the invitation for our dedication celebration. Here's the first draft:

Side one. Words are from the hymn, All are Welcome.

Side dos. 


I feel like the past week has been full of designing invitations. Maybe because it has?

Happy Friday, see ya tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, even though it was for a short while, I'm glad to say I got to know you. You're seriously one rad individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the update on St Andrew's progress! I was toying with the idea of coming to the homewarming event in early May until I read that "BJ the Clown" will be there. Yikes! Maybe July instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah!!

    Todd--I was hoping you didn't see the BJ the Clown detail, darnet! If you come in July, you can stay at our new house... Seriously. That's an official offer.

    ReplyDelete