Monday, April 9, 2012

100 Days of Blog'in


Today is the 100th day of the year. It is also the 100th day of this blog. (Technically, my 101st post of the year due to penalties.)

I was super excited about this, until Ben said, "Only 265 days left!" Darnet, Ben.

Obviously, since I'm 100 days in, I'm obviously a blogging expert--not.

Every day, I'm learning new things about blogging; what works and what doesn't, what sticks and what crashes.

Here's five major lessons I've learned in the first 100 days of blogging:

Jump in, toe-testing is for sissies: I don't know if I would have embarked on this project if there wasn't a blog to go with it.  When I started this blog on December 31, 2011, I thought--I'm a genius! What a great way to make sure I keep doing the project!

What I didn't think about: gaining subscribers, doing the project + a post every day, being ready for critics, and lots of people knowing a WHOLE LOT about my present life. 

But, I jumped in, and didn't have a chance to look back. I'm so thankful I did. Not only do I have people that check in on me and keep me honest, but I also have a huge network of cheerleaders keeping me going. Thanks all, I really appreciate it. 


Be See-through: Transparency can be extremely therapeutic. As you have probably noticed, if I'm having a bad day--I have no problem posting it up here. Most of the time, it really shows through my work and the project du jour. 

There is something therapeutic in letting you know where I am at day-to-day. And, a couple people have told me, that they find it entertaining. 


Don't be boring: Have something to say. Be interesting. Be timely. This is probably something I have violated on multiple occasions--sorry, thanks for being gentle. 


Mess Up, being perfect is super boring: This goes along with not being boring. Some of my 'most viewed' posts are those that I thought were a total failure. But, it wasn't boring.

I think this lesson is the very reason I hate wedding blogs like "Style Me Pretty" or the 9,000 others. Way too much perfection. What they don't show are the 35 buttons and three people it took to get the dress bussled. They don't show the marathon invitation-addressing sessions. Those are interesting. Another wedding with pennant flags, striped straws, and rows of mason jars is so boring.
Have a plan, stick to it 84 percent of the time: This is the most important thing I've learned. I've tried so hard to plan out weeks in advance (See Week-o-Wagamama...) But sometimes, life gets in the way. Sometimes, Luke Babbitt makes you so angry, you need to have a rant-filled post that day. Focus, but not so much that you are too rigid. Don't let your play-dough dry out.

So that's it. My five lessons learned from the first 100 days of this project. Thank you so much for being interested in my project, and keeping me honest. The next 265 will be even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment