Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Certainty.

"I love that after a day when nothing is certain, and when I say 'nothing' I mean nothing,You can come home and absolutely know that of you add egg yolks to chocolate, sugar, and milk--it will get thick." -Julie/Julia.

I've referred to this project several times as my very own 'Julie/Julia.' actually, I think my exact words were, "I'm going to Julie/Julia the shit out of this." Eloquent, right?

But I am. Or, at least I'm trying to.

[Side Note: If you haven't read the book/watched the movie, do it. It's definitely worth your time. Also--Meryl Streep is a creepily good Julia]

This quote wasn't exactly word-for-word in the book, but it is from the movie version. This comes at such a pivotal moment in the story when Julie feels things slipping away.

I find myself chanting this on days that I am frustrated with the things that are beyond my control. There are things that are certain. Put a pan on heat, and crack an egg on it, the egg will cook. Heating butter, will melt it. Simple science? Simple therapy.

For month's I wanted to immortalize this quote in my kitchen. Since I have committed myself to attempting a SUCCESSFUL lettering project, this is a perfect opportunity.

I needed to spend a considerable amount of time sketching this, so here are my initial sketches.




My handwriting is too cutesy. I promise my end product won't look like Curlz. 

Grids? Hmm...
Check back, I ended up with a great concept (not shown here, yet.)

In a totally unrelated note: I know I am the last person on Earth to say this, but HUNGER GAMES? WOWMG! I just got off a 2.5 hr flight to Pheonix, and I got through 200 pages of the first book. I'm totally obsessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment