Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's [My Mom's Birthday] Day!

Valentine's Day is an extra special day in my family. Not just because we all love each other (awe), but it's also Mom's birthday.

She's always got us awesome Valentine's Day gifts. Even when We are at school, we always got a v-day themed care package with cupcakes, jammies and other fun gifts.

I wanted to make her something really special this year. She recently took a cheese making class with one of her really good friends, and has made some pretty incredible cheese. My mom also loves platters. So, being totally original, I made her a cheese platter.

I used the same technique I have been using for the etched glass, but I instead bought some really nice cutting boards that could double for nice looking platters.

I also rediscovered the awesomeness of Home Depot paint samples. They cost about $2 or less, and give you enough paint (in exactly the color you want) for a zillion projects (or a 4'x6' area, as per package directions.) I was looking for marine-grade paint, so it would last forever, but according to Home Depot, they don't sell boats (what?) So, I settled with super hearty outdoor paint and a nice sealant to make it food-safe. Here's what I did:

I picked out two super neat cutting boards.
One for Les Fruits, one for Les Fromages. 

I accidently cut myself with my Xacto during this process.
How? I don't know. 

The color was called Graceful Gray.
Literally, the most perfect light gray, ever. 

As you can see, vinyl doesn't make a perfect seal to the wood.
I had some cleaning up to do. Q-tip + wooden skewer worked well. 

Les Fruits and Les Fromages!
Ben also wanted to get in on the fun, so he took a trip to New Seasons and bought really yummy cheese for the tray. He also gave her a Captain America valentine.

So, I'll end this post with a very happy happy birthday to the best mom/boss in the world. Thanks for being you.

This is my mom with her friend Amy, giggling.

My mom was the 'dress wrangler' of the wedding.
Including being in charge of a 21 button bussell. 





I made her wear that flower. It was part of the dress code. 

Thanks for all you do.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really nice post, Lauren, I enjoyed reading it :-) All your posts are fun to read, actually, but I especially liked this one. I'd like to talk about the cheese platter more next time we chat, I have questions!

    ReplyDelete