Friday, February 3, 2012

A Review: The Descendants

Unfortunately, I think I'm having a relapse of the bug I caught earlier this week. Today, I just felt terrible. But, I also had a big case of cabin fever--Ben and I have not been outside of work/the apartment all week, and it was time to do something. We decided to see a movie, and infect the rest of the world with the bug I have (sorry, Bridgeport Regal Cinema.)

We chose The Descendants with George Clooney. It had 'Oscar Buzz,' and I love George Clooney. Also--there must have been some movie that came out today that had the 12-14 y/o population streaming to the theaters, and The Descendants seemed like the least likely movie that we would have to deal with a 'OMG, did he just text you?' moment.

In a few words--it was boring. Really. It had a great story-albeit a very sad story-but I kept waiting for something to happen. It's a story about a man that has drifted away from his family, and his effort to reconnect with his daughters after his wife is in a boating accident--seemingly a great Stepmom style movie, right? Wrong. There are lots of 'is this funny? or is this sad' awkward moments, and even more 'why doesn't he just...' moments. It just wasn't great.

George Clooney was good---enough. The best performance in the picture was his bratty older daughter Alexandria, played by Shaileene Woodney.

Also--I'm a sucker for beautifully shot movies. This one had a lot of potential to be beautiful--it was set in Hawaii. But, there was nothing extraordinary about it. I kept guessing what made this Oscar worthy, maybe I'm too low brow. 

But overall--it was just dull. And awkward. With the story line they had to work with, it had the potential to be....well....Stepmom. The movie you can simultaneously laugh and cry in. The type of movie that makes you hear "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" different.

I think my exact words to Ben were, "It just wasn't Titanic, ya know?"




No comments:

Post a Comment