Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Cover Photo Extravaganza

Can I get a 'wha-what!' for all of us that hate Facebook timeline?

Ugh. How much do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

My biggest beef is I don't quite understand how the hierarchy works. Your most recent post does not necessarily appear first or even in order. For those of us that get most of our blog traffic from FB posts--this is so frustrating! And for those of us that just like a little order in our social media--this is INFURIATING.

But, Facebook tricked me into changing to timeline (sneaky sneaky) so now I have to deal. We all have ways to cope, my best way to cope is to make it pretty.

On Saturday, I made this beauty for Ben's facebook. Being the grateful husband he is, he still hasn't added it yet (guilt trip!)


So here's a super easy way to make your very own [very cool] cover photo!

If you have Photoshop or Illustrator, open up a new document that is 851 x 315 pixels.

If you have Microsoft Paint do the same thing. From the home screen, click 'resize and skew' enter the size [make sure that you uncheck the 'ratio' option.]

[Note, from here on out, I'm going to show pictures using Illustrator. The process is very similar on Photoshop and MS Paint. If you have questions, leave a comment below and I'll answer them the best I can.]
You can make fun of my desk-top background later. 

Now, it's time to play.

I added a cool picture, a neato cut-out text layer (in illustrator: Outline your text, select the text + shape that you want to cut out, go to your 'pathfinder' window and select 'subtract), and some pizazz:

Photo by Katy Weaver Photography



Then, turn it into a JPG (For Illustrator>Export, for Photoshop/MS Paint>Save As...)

And here you have your photo:

Alright!
Now, time for Facebook. Log in to your account, and get to your profile page.

Click 'Change Cover.'

Now, upload your newly created cover photo.

You shouldn't need to reposition since we created the image with exact dimensions.
Click 'Save Changes'

...and...

You did it!
So we may hate [or love/hate] Timeline, but at least we can now do it in style.

Happy Tuesday [that really feels like a Monday] everyone. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment