Monday, May 14, 2012

Wrecked

Sorry about the lack of post yesterday--this time I have a really good excuse, that comes with a semi-good story.

Yesterday, Ben and I made an awesome dinner for my mom.

It involved:


Wild Mushroom Risotto
Smoked Salmon (courtesy of the Traeger)

Roasted Artichokes + Mushrooms
And these guys:

Marionberry Cheesecake + Tiramisu

Now, here's where it gets interesting. 

We enjoy our awesome meal, and dig into dessert.

[Background story: About 6 months ago I realized that I had a sore throat for over 4 months, and all of a sudden I started breaking out in hives. I went to the doctor, she told me that I need to go see an allergist because I've been eating something for 4 months that I'm deathly allergic to and have blisters formed all the way down my throat. I'm too cheap to see an allergist, so I started to allergy test myself. Narrowed it down to wheat and nuts. It was definitely nuts.]

I'm no baker or dessert maker--so I farmed out the desserts we had to New Seasons. They were delicious. Half way through my little piece of Tiramisu, I started going into full on anaphylactic shock.

Yeah, that was weird.

[For those that don't know what anaphylactic shock, here's what Webmd.com says: 

Cutaneous symptoms include pruritus, erythema, urticaria, and angioedema. 
Respiratory compromise can come from laryngeal obstruction or bronchospasm. 
Cardiac effects include arrhythmia, hypotension, and shock. 
The reaction may be fatal if asphyxiation or cardiovascular collapse occurs. 

ie: My tongue was exploding, my throat was closing up, and I started to get a real fast heart beat.]

This was the first time I went into full on anaphylactic shock. Most times, my lips tingle, my tongue swells a little, but nothing that a little chug of benedryl won't fix.

Well, this time it kept getting worse...and eventually Ben and I hightailed it to Safeway where I chugged an entire bottle of liquid benedryl and waited. Thank goodness, it got better.

So what did it? Amaretto. Darnet you sneaky liquors and your sneaky almond sneaking!

If you've ever chugged an entire bottle of liquid benedryl, you know that the first thing you do post imbibing is pass the eff out. So, I did.

Then, my keys went missing at my parents house. We searched high and low--and frankly I was in such a state of benedryl-coma I had no idea what was going on. Ben drove me home--later the keys were found in the laundry basket [what?!]--and I was out again.

[the story still isn't over...]

So then this morning, my mom picked me up since I still didn't have my keys, and I was walking through the garage and [possibly still under-the-influence of benedryl] violently tripped over a lever on my Dad's tiller. 

So as I type this, I'm still bene-drilled, my foot has a lump the size of a softball on it (it's probably broken), and my throat feels like someone lit it on fire.

But--it's 90 degrees outside and I'm going to go play.

Happy Monday, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment